Friday, November 30, 2012

Everything has changed

" All I know since yesterday is everything has changed" - Taylor Swift

I wanted to leave my original post the same because I didn't think I could recreate the newness and excitement of when I wrote that. Since then it seems like everything has changed. Ryan and I are taking some time apart to figure out what we are missing and so I can get "me" back. It's way more complicated than that sentence implies, but he is no longer coming on the voyage so I wanted to make sure that was addressed and it wasn't like "oh, why does she neglect Ryan and never talk about him?"

Anyways besides that HUGE life change, the voyage has changed a little too! 

New stops, small changes, but still the same level of EXCITEMENT! 
 
Embark: San Diego, CA, United States
stop in Ensenada, Mexico to pick up the students
Hilo, Hawaii, United States
Yokohama, Japan
Kobe, Japan  
Shanghai, China 
Hong Kong, China 
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Singapore, Singapore
Rangoon, Burma 
Cochin, India
Port Louis, Mauritius 
Cape Town, South Africa 
Takoradi, Ghana 
Tema (Accra), Ghana  
Casablanca, Morocco  
Debark: Barcelona, Spain

 
(just because its so appropriate again)

I am so excited. I've been participating in weekly (then bi-weekly) conference calls with the Student Life Team and I AM PUMPED! I know that I am going to have so much fun and learn so much from these people. Yesterday, I laughed so hard on the conference call I almost started crying. Knowing I will be with fun, caring, and genuine people makes this seem so much easier. 

Speaking of easy, the most anxiety of it all? 
Packing... How does one pack for 4 months and three seasons (winter, summer, tropical) in one and a halfish bags.. there is no bag limit on the ship (that I know of) but I still have to fly to San Diego... JEEEEZ! I hope this is the hardest part!

I get my vaccines Monday and will be planning my trips and things this weekend. Hopefully my sister will be joining me in South Africa (fingers crossed) and we'll get that settled as well. It really is all coming together. Now to finish my projects at work, say goodbye to my students (remember when I said I hope packing will be the hardest part? well I'm in denial about this part), get everything in order for the next AC, move the apartment into a storage unit, and finish preparing for my voyage in 37 days. GO ME! :) I am keeping lots of lists. 

For those of you that are worried about communications (Mom), I will have access to wifi on the ship (though its not great and Skype isn't allowed) BUT will ALWAYS have access to my semester at sea email so even if the wifi explodes I can still get that.... So, in other words, write this down: nicole.lenez.sp13@semesteratsea.org. If you want to know exactly where I am at all moments, you can follow our detailed itinerary and there is a voyage blog on the website. When I'm in port and can get to wifi I'll be able to skpe and facetime to your heart's content. On the bottom of the detailed itinerary webpage there are instructions on how to send me snail mail. I would love some pen pals. :) While care packages are appreciated, I may have to pay tax to pick them up so unless it's something super amazing or something that I've begged you to send me, you can put all your caring into words that fit in an envelope. No matter what friends and family, you will hear from me (otherwise my mom would lose her stinking mind). <3

 

Thank you to all for your advice, support, and kindness during all of this! It's been a crazy time and I am so excited to get started on this voyage. 

 


As a side note, "boat" is a bad word.. I'm trying to break the habit so if you see a blog post with the word "boat" in it or hear my say "boat" call me out!! I will be on a SHIP! <3






http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/111745634473730579_1VsVAKkV.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment