Thursday, March 14, 2013

Oh India!

Oh India, where do I start? India was interesting. The good thing is I learned what I will do differently if I ever go back.

We ported in Cochi, India on Willingdom Island. Willingdom Island is manmade which is insane to me. It used to hold the airport but isn’t big enough anymore and the airport moved about an hour and a half away. Now Willingdom Island is home to the port and what seemed like a lot of abandoned buildings. Cochi is in south India. Unlike the rest of the country, Cochi is very heavily Christian and pretty wealthy in comparison.

The first day I went on a SAS city tour. The first stop was a palace built in the 16th century. I was super sad that photos weren’t allowed here because it was GORGEOUS inside. There were beautiful murals – still the originals from the 16th century on almost all the walls. The kings lived in the palace until 1964 when democracy took over in the country. An interesting fact about the kings: the kingdom did not go to the oldest son of the king – but the oldest son of the king’s oldest sister.



Second stop was Jew Town (yes that is actually what they call it) and the Paradesi Synagogue. The synagogue was built hidden deep in the city in 1344 when the Indian king took in Jewish refugees. The blue tile on the ground was hand painted and their were beautiful lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Again, no pictures allowed. Our tour guide told us that there are only 8 Jewish families still living in Cochin, and most of the members are elderly (the children moved to other areas).



Our third stop was the Spice Market. Carrola has a long rainy season which makes it an ideal place to grow spices. They had everything from vanilla to ginger to curry to peppers. The market we went to also sold textiles and there was a woman who gave us a demonstration on how they make all the beautiful linens.






We then went to Fort Cochin, which is another subsection of Cochi. The colonial influence was really evident in the architecture here. We stopped at St Francis church which was beautiful and then went to see the Chinese fishing nets and market which was also pretty cool.







The Kathkali dance was very cool. They tell stories but there are no words or lyrics at all. The men (only men can be actors) paint their faces to be the characters – we went early to watch them put on their makeup. There was a demonstration on how they use totally exaggerated facial expressions to show the basic human emotions. We then saw a 45 minute dance story about an ugly woman who fell in love with a king and used a magic potion to be beautiful so he would notice her and love her back. She died at the end. Tragic.







My second and third days in India were spent leading a group of 27 students to a yoga retreat. We took a bus at 5 am to a nice hotel where we met our yogi. We learned quickly that she was not very nice and very strict. The first day we practiced mostly breathing techniques and meditation. No physical yoga. It was the same the second day though the food made me sick so I didn’t leave my hotel room until it was time to get on the bus. Good news about the hotel? It had a TV and AC so my sick day was at least spent in comfort watching ridiculous American movies like The Green Hornet. The students were amazing and checked on me constantly. They brought me water and rehydration packs and were generally just amazing. I’m a big fan.

The day after I got back from the yoga retreat I was feeling better and decided to venture out for exploration and shopping with my friends even though I hadn’t eaten yet. We rented a rickshaw (which is a ridiculous little 3 wheeled “car” that has no doors or windows and is hilarious), and took it back towards Jew Town and Fort kochi to try to find some good shopping. We were unsuccessful. We did get lost and wander through some awesome neighborhoods, and see some friendly goats wandering the streets. The goats there are pretty cute. We went back to the ship for lunch (thankful to Dan and Christine for doing that for me when I didn’t know if my stomach could handle more Indian food), and rallied – determined the afternoon would be a success. We took a rickshaw to Ernakulam this time. Ernakulam is the main city, and we were told it was the place to shop. We found one of the stores we were looking for but the sizes weren’t quite right for what we needed. We then wandered the riverfront towards the ferry station to reorient ourselves to where we were. By the river smelled awful. The water there really has a funk to it (and a lot of bacteria in it – the MV couldn’t take on any water while we were there even with our filtration system), and there were a few vendors on the ground selling knickknacks and toys. Then we stumbled across a man getting a tattoo… on the ground, next to the stinky river, just chilling with actual ink and needle. OMG. It was pretty scary to see how little regulations there are for tattooing and I quietly wished none of the students decided to live dangerously and get one (literally) on the street. We walked a little more and tried (unsuccessfully) to find a grocery, and when it started to rain we grabbed a rickshaw back to the ship in time for dinner. We treated ourselves and ate on the pool deck that night – my pizza was GOOD (and my tummy was still scared of Indian food).



Some very cool street art


 The MV from across the River
On day 5, I was on duty so I spent my time on the ship. I got a ton of work done and prepped for the programs coming up on our long stretch and hung out with some pretty cool people hanging out at various times. I hung out in the office on FB chat and got to catch up with home a little which is always wonderful and appreciated. It was a great recovery day after my illness and I cleaned my cabin since the GI bug was going around the ship right before we ported.

Our last day in Cochi, I went shopping with the boys. Kevin, Craig, Dan, Josh, Travis, and I loaded ourselves into two rickshaws that we rented for the day. Our drivers were great. They took us everywhere. We collected names of all the great stores the students, faculty, and staff recommended to us and we made a day of it. We ended at a mall with a grocery store (thank goodness – we’ve got 12 days at sea right after), and I stocked up on potato chips, kit kats, and saltines though much to my dismay they didn’t have diet coke. :) The rickshaw driver gave Kevin a driving lesson while I sat in the back with all the bags and Craig got out for some photos hahah




All in all India was very nice. If I ever get the opportunity to visit again, I will definitely make my way to the Taj Mahal. I was uber-jealous of my friends “so gorgeous it looks photoshopped” photos in front of that beautiful building. I would also go to Munnar which got AMAZING reviews. Nothing but tea leaf fields and hiking and beautiful-ness there.

1 comment: