Saturday, January 12, 2013

In the middle of the ocean!

Hello from the middle of the Pacific Ocean!!! Today is our third day at sea, and the thirsd since we've seen land. I watched a great lecture last night on the oceans. I told the faculty today at lunch that I was thankful because I learned so much and he presented it in a great way; "like oceans for dmmies". I hope I didn't offend him!

We haven't seen land in a long time. There is over 15,000 feet from the top of the water (where we are floating) to the ocean floor below us. We've seen one piece of "trash" - a volleyball which we quickly named Wilson and screamed at, and two birds. I'm not sure what the second bird I saw was but I learned (in that awesome lecture) that the first bird following our ship miles and miles from land was an Albatross. Albatross's can go hours without flapping their wings (they glide so nicely), eat squid and small fish, and can not see land for years and be okay. SO AWESOME! I am hoping to see some whales, and (even though I am not that comfortable with them) dolphins soon! Apparently the closer we get to ports the greater our chances are for seeing awesome wildlife.

Last night we had our first bar service (where the students can purchase alcohol if they are over 18) and it went REALLY well. What a great way for them to socialize responsibly and get to know us a little as well. It was outside on the deck which is a little cold. I also got my first on deck hug last night. I was saving it for Archbishop Desmond Tutu but a student who was walking on the deck by the empty pool who I asked to get down because I was scared he would crack his head open with all the wild waves we've been hitting hugged me for caring about him. Adorable. The students are from all over the world. There are over 250 institutions represented (I already met and am best friends with two of the three Clemson students). They are truly a very engaged group, and so far, it's been a pleasure to work with them. It's so great to be in an environment where the students are so incredibly engaged in their learning (yes, I know, it's only day three).

I have been terrible at keeping up with my blog but am only a day behind in my journal! BK made me me a great journal with the dates and question prompts, inspirational quotes, and photos from home. I've been trying to take 30 minutes a day to just reflect and enjoy that time. Megan made me a journal of interesting facts about each port and other awesome daily treats. Today I hit a drawing from my #1 Reese. It made my freaking day.

To Recap on what you've missed:
  • Move in day was GREAT! So much energy! I was given a job to help them in port filling out some paperwork before check in. Being on the pier in the sunshine with all that energy was awesome.
  • Orientation was awesome... Students fell asleep a lot. 
  • At the session where they introduced us all, Archbishop Desmond Tutu blew me a kiss and I almost died (the Archbishop is sailing with us through Cape Town as a guest lecturer).  After that when they introduced me, Kindra said some students behind her said "oooh she's so cool" which I will consider an EPIC win on day one!
  • I already told you about the bird and Wilson sightings!
I'll post more from Hawaii, and hopefully some photos! I know I'll spend at least a little while catching up in the internet cafe. We will be hiking the volcano, taking a tour at the brewey, and doing some serious shopping!

Until Later!! Miss you all! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment