Monday, January 21, 2013

The little things…

It’s amazing how much I take for granted in my everyday life. The ability to easily communicate with my family, watching tv, being able to “get away” from your job, reliable internet… this voyage has taught me just how much I was taking for granted. Do I think the students, faculty, and staff are forming better and richer relationships without cell phones? Of course. I think it’s great, but I’d also like to hear Ryan’s voice as he tells me about Steven’s basketball game and talk to my sister regularly.

My AHA moment of this was the other night when bananas were finally put out! I hadn’t seen a banana since I left VA. I had two, with peanut butter. It was glorious. The next day at lunch I had two and a half thinking that was the last bunch… They’ve had them everyday since and now, I hope I never see another banana. Haha!! That’s clearly an exaggeration but they were great and I didn’t realize how much I missed them!
IMG_0463
Last night we put on a trivia contest for the students. I t was awesome! The students were so into it and the questions turned out perfectly. I have to say, I’ve learned more in the past two weeks on this ship than in the past few years, and after putting together that trivia game, I feel ready for Jeopardy (but not really)! I joked that my brain was swollen! My favorite trivia question was “South Africa is the only country to have two Nobel Peace Prize winners living on the same street. Who are they?” The answer? Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela! The students impressed me with how brilliant they are, and I think their professors were also impressed and pleased when they would call out the correct answers to things they were learning in class. :)

Today I went on a bridge tour with my sea. The bridge is where the captains steer the ship. It’s on autopilot almost the whole time we are at sea (mostly only taking it off when we are going into or leaving port). We had a wonderful woman giving us the tour. She did a great job of explaining all the phones, radars, buttons, etc… I don’t think I could take over steering if I had to but I could try! Below are some photos from the bridge!


We have six channels on the TV in our cabins. One channel tells us where the ship is and plays (sometimes) really great music (sometimes not great music)… There is an informational channel (which will play our evening lectures), and the other 4 loop mostly movies for class. I rarely get a chance to watch, let alone be in my cabin for more than sleeping or dropping something off, but today I am relaxing in here to help finish off my head cold and to rest my back a little. One of the classes must be learning about gender stereotypes because there is an awesome video on right now talking about music and advertising and all things that define what we need to do to be a man and woman. Its good. It reminds me that my parents did a super awesome job raising us as confident, strong, and loving women. The continuing theme through all of these documentaries is in how you were raised, so I’m very thankful for the people around me when I was growing up and learning what it meant to be a woman. Gives me a lot to think about.

The only other notable thing this week was that we crossed the international date line. We went right from Sunday January 20 to Tuesday January 22 (if this was a normal job I would be pumped to not get a case of the Mondays but it's not so all the days feel the same anyways!). Time travel was messing with people. We have three people who had their birthdays wiped, and celebrated MLK day a day early! So crazy and so cool!

Time to catch up on my journal! I’m a few days behind in that! Til next time!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! i'd love to listen to the gender stereotypes channel!!! I took a class on gender in college and it was AWESOME! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! You missed inauguration day, too! Glad you got to read the President's speech though. He was cool...now they're making a stink because Beyonce was lip singing the National Anthem. Whoopsies, Beyonce! Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete