Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ship life…

Last night was the first night that the waves woke me up. I remember waking up and thinking “oh crap, we just hit an iceberg” and then I fell back to sleep. It can get really loud and harsh when the waves get high enough and we hit them at the right angle. Often a loud smack followed by shaking and creaking and the like. WEIRD! But I’m feeling good and my head cold is gone, so onward and upward!

 

We just found out that some of the ports we are docking at will interfere with our internet to shut it down. It’s unbelievably eye opening to see what countries do to censor their people. I’m on duty the first day and was hoping to catch up on some job searching but I will do all my research before port and use my day to work on cover letters and my resume. I’m kind of looking forward to a quiet day on board, where I can get a lot of stuff done! My cabin needs cleaning (I am hardly in there), I have postcards to write, and to catch up on my journal (which somehow I haven’t written in since Hawaii!!!) and emails. I get three half hour breaks and hopefully there will be some yummy food and a food store near the port so I can get some essentials. We’ll see!

 

Time change is proving challenging, though I can see how travelling East would be more problematic. Almost every night since leaving Hawaii, we have gained an hour. In addition to that, on Sunday January 20th at 2359 (or 11:59pm) we crossed the international dateline which catapulted us to Tuesday January 22. That was one week where I didn’t have a case of the Mondays! Time travel is cool.

 

Two days before each port, the coordinators for the Lifelong Learners do a tasting. I am so excited to see what is on the menu for Japan tonight! For the Hawaii one they had some tuna, mango pudding, coconut shrimp, bbq chicken, and.. well I know there was a 5th but am not sure what it was. Anyway, the food is delicious and it gives me the chance to try things before the port. :) After that I’m back on Beverage Service, which I think will be pretty mellow considering there is rumor the seas might get rougher. (YUCK).

 

The ship is pretty great. In addition to the classrooms and offices we have a cardio workout room, weight room, basketball/volleyball court, computer lab, bookstore, snack bars, library, two dining halls, and a pretty neat pool space. My equally favorite and least favorite place on the ship is the faculty/staff lounge. There are no students allowed in there. It’s beautiful with so many windows, but proves to be a rough place to hang out when the seas are rough (why it qualifies as one of my least favorite spots). At night, and in calm seas it’s very peaceful and the deck surrounding it is equally as beautiful. It is also a great place at night with impromptu dance parties, games, etc.. very fun.

 

Last night I had a cookie social with my sea. I got to meet so many more of my residents and learn some more about them. We also made a lot of friends.. it’s not often you see cookies on the ship so we made friends fast!

 

The crew is unbelievably awesome and take great care of us. You can order a cake for people’s birthday’s and for Kindra’s they googled a recipe and made a delicious vegan cake for us. It was wonderful! They are very accommodating. My cabin steward;s name is Joseph. He’s awesome but I rarely see him. I leave early in the morning for the gym and breakfast and after that it’s go go go! I’m usually not back until he’s long gone but he is quite wonderful.

 

I actually am finding that I packed pretty well for this. There isn’t much I brought that I haven’t used yet which is refreshing. I need to start reading again. I think that is the only thing I REALLY wanted to do on this voyage that I haven’t done yet.

 

I think that’s all that’s going on here! Until next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment