Friday, January 25, 2013

Waves on waves on waves

I woke up at 3 am (one of the many times I woke up last night) and looked out my window. It looked a little like what Dorothy saw during her dream of the tornado in the Wizard of Oz. There was rain and wind and huge waves and a guy on a bicycle (not really). When I got up around 8 the rain had stopped but the waves were still huge! Here are some photos.

DSC09207DSC09206

I’ll have to go upstairs and see what the measurements are. My guess is 6-7 meters.

 

If all goes according to plan, tomorrow we will arrive in a wintry Yokohama. I am on duty the first day. The government requires us to shut down our internet upon arriving in port, so I will be doing a lot of movie watching, reading, and job applying! :) I am hopeful that the port will have wireless so during one of my breaks I can call home and catch up. If not, the hostel we are staying at in Tokyo will have internet. I’m sure it will feel funny to sleep without rocking! <3 This was the longest stretch without seeing land on our voyage, and you can tell students, staff, and faculty alike are all ready for a little space from each other and a little solid ground!

I’ve got an easy day today – At 0930 I am going to sit in on a class that Archbishop Desmond Tutu is the guest lecturer for. Student Life meeting at 1230, Zumba at 1900 (assuming the waves calm a little), and then onto 2000 for the pre-port meeting where we will learn all about the logistics of Japan! Pretty easy calm day. At some point I am going to borrow some movies from my coworkers and set up my line up for tomorrow! Luckily, they all brought REALLY awesome movies!

Until next time! <3

I almost forgot! Last night during the Japan Explorer Seminar, I learned that there was an argument over the size of CDs when they were created. One of the lead designers said to his team, “I don’t care what size it is but Bethoven’s 5th Symphony must fit on it and it is 56 minutes long”. That is how the size of the CD was determined! (I think it was his 5th Symphony!) Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment