Saturday, January 26, 2013

“Secure everything…”

We’ve hit a storm. Captain was doing an amazing job weaving in and out of storms but we’ve hit one… Classes were cancelled. In the dining hall the cupboards were opening and spoons and forks came flying out… I joked that I felt like I was in Beauty and the Beast (but I did!). My steward told me to “secure everything” when I walked into my cabin. I spent the last hour shooing people inside from the outer decks standing near the railings or jumping up and down…. these are the things that make me nervous for our future. At moments my Deck 3 window is completely under water. They say the biggest waves we’ve hit are 30 ft… and it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I went up to the Faculty/Staff lounge.. the highest indoor point on the ship and the waves crashed up over the windows. Below are photos from my day. I am hopeful others will follow my lead and have dinner and then go to bed! We have an amazing crew and Captain and I know that we will keep safe… and hopefully we will make it to Japan on time!

The good news? I don’t feel the least bit seasick!

IMG_0498

My morning started sitting in on a class with Guest Lecturer Archbishop Desmond Tutu. His laugh makes my day.

IMG_0493

IMG_0496

and a random sweet moment of friendship… :)

IMG_0501

The waves starting…

014

The storm coming…

1 comment: